Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Cemetery


     I went to the Greenville Cemetery last week with my art student. It was an overcast day - a quiet place to sit and sketch. Afterward, we walked around a bit admiring the statues and reading the tombstones. A cemetery can center me like no other place. It reminds me to go enjoy my day and live my best life while I'm still here. 
     The above piece is from a photo I took while we were on our way out. A few storms clouds were moving in and when I looked back over my shoulder I saw this composition. I loved the angel looking over the people at rest, ready to protect them from the elements.


     I painted it in a re-purposed book. I coated the page in a layer of gesso (primer), and when that dried I applied the acrylic paints. I always feel I do my best work on less precious surfaces with the most inexpensive materials. Go figure. 







No comments:

Post a Comment