Monday, August 21, 2023

Birdbath - Number 2 of ?


 Day One of my 8 x 10 oil painting. 

I recently watched an oil painting tutorial that inspired me to work in a different way. 

I toned the entire canvas in a raw-umber wash. Then, using a rag, and brushes dipped in Turpenoid (a somewhat odorless turpentine), I erased out the image and highlights. I also went back in with a bit more of the raw umber to darken the shadows. This wasn't a long process, and it's a small painting. I probably spent less than an hour. 


Day Two of my 8x10 oil painting

Today I spent a bit of time adding color. As this painting is more of an experiment, I even painted with my palette knife a bit which I don't normally do. I liked the dark area in the upper right, but it was supposed to be a tree in the background and the size of the "leaves" made it look like foreground. I actually realized this as I was lying in bed that night thinking about it! I wiped it off with a rag immediately the next morning, before it had a chance to dry. The thing with working with a palette knife is that it lays the paint on heavy and creates texture where you may not want it.

We're not done yet! I'll post another step or two later this week. - Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment