Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Tux


This is my grandson Tux. What a kid! I had the pleasure of spending a whole week with him recently when he flew home with his mom. He is four years old and can name dinosaurs and reptiles with an accuracy I would have to study up on for weeks, possibly months. Yeah. Probably months. I know easy ones like T-Rex and rattlesnakes, but this kid was schooling me on saw-scaled vipers and titanaboas.


Titanaboa - an extinct (thank goodness) constrictor. 
I pulled this image from simple google search to share, because I thought you might like to add the knowledge to your brain bank in case you run into Tux somewhere. This is his favorite snake.

I was reading to him a page from a reptile book about Gila Monsters, incorrectly pronouncing it with a hard "G" sound. He politely corrected me, and I now know that it is pronounced Hee-la monster.
Speaking of being polite, he came downstairs one morning and said "Good morning, Grandma. How did you sleep?" Four years old! But . . . he is a boy. He was also found here with his cousin Tilly:


And he wasn't very polite about having to bathe. Haha!




I think this is the only photo I have of the three boys together, 
mostly because the little one on the right (Novan) never sits still.


The image at the top of the page is done in oils. While his mom was here visiting, I couldn't NOT show her and give it to her in person. It is an image that will go in the family calendar. The one in the calendar won't look exactly the same, so it will still be somewhat of a surprise. I dropped it into Procreate and did magical things with it that I'll share here in January.


The process:
I didn't even draw this one out. I just started painting (on gessoboard).




 I have to say, I was getting very excited about the way it was turning out at this point.


Putting in a background, after the image is painted seems backward. I don't recommend it. Like I said, I just jumped in and started painting, from a photo his mom Ashley had sent. As I tried to figure out what I was doing back there, I had to keep touching up the edges of his image. Just backward. 
But until his image was done, I didn't know what background I wanted so . . . ? hmmmm.

I tried a couple ideas. The one I ended up with at the top of the page, made him look,
in my humble opinion, the most animated and three-dimensional. 
Plus, I was tired of touching up edges!


I have to say, I get a lot of amazing photos from his mom and he is such a character that I could most likely make a career of creating images of him. Just look at this guy! Haha!

Love you so much Tux!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment