Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Willow House Chapter 7


To start at chapter one click here

 Table Manners

   



     Please pass the garlic bread,” I say to Dad. He gives me a big smile. He loves it when I use good manners.

     “How was your day?” he asks.

     “I survived. Thanks for asking.”

     “Surely you did better than just survive. What did you think of the house?”

     I look across the table at Mom whos cutting Tommys spaghetti up into little pieces. Then I look back at Dad, and trying to use a polite voice, not one that might get me in trouble just for opening my mouth, I smile and say Whos idea was it to send us there?”

     I get the sense that Dad appreciated my effort. As a matter of fact, it was I who had that marvelous idea.”

    “Oh.” I nod my head. You sent your kids to the Witch House?” My polite voice is slipping a little.

     “The what?!”

     “Everyone in town knows the house is haunted,” I stopped myself from saying and that Mrs. Hallovich is a witch.

     “Everyone huh? I didnt know that. So, tell me, Ella, did you see any ghosts?”

     “Not exactly. But you can tell they live there.”

     “Uh-huh.”

     “Mom, how could you let Dad talk you into taking us there?” My polite voice has disappeared entirely.

     “I didnt talk her into anything, young lady.” 

     I’ve done it now. He brought out his young ladyvoice.

     “I met Mrs. Hallovich at one of my job sites earlier this spring. She liked the work I did in the park, and wanted to meet me. I stopped by her house, at her request, to have a look at her property. We got to talking, and by the end of the conversation, she had offered to watch you and Tommy for a while until Heather gets home from college.”

     “You were in her house?”

     “Briefly. I was mostly in her back yard. There was so much overgrowth that I couldnt get in very far. Ive never seen anything like it. Its going to cost her a small fortune just to clear it out.”

     “Did you see the fountain?”

     “You were in her backyard?” Dad seems surprised. I didnt see any fountain. But, like I said, I didnt go in very far.”

     “She has a weeping willow thats 130 years old!”

     “Willows only live about 30 to 50 years, maybe 75 if youre lucky and it has a good water supply. Im sure youre mistaken.”

     “Thats what Mrs. Hallovich said.”

     “Well, Mrs. Hallovich must be confused.”

     I decide not to get into the sleigh ride, her life before cars, the photos where people don’t smile, or her basic immortal-ness.

     “How far exactly did you guys go into the yard?” Dad asks.

     “We went clear back to the greenhouse.”

     “What greenhouse?”

     “The one in the second yard.”

     “Wait . . . what!? You guys were able to walk back to a second yard? Was it actually clear enough to get through that jungle?”

     “Well . . . yeah. Once we got a few steps away from the house it kind of opened up.”

     “Hmmm. She must have hired someone else to clear it.” Dad looks like his feelings are hurt. He’s trying to act like its no big deal, but I can tell it is.  

     Theres still a lot to do,” I say. Everything is full of weeds. I bet she can use your help planting nice flowers and stuff.” 

     “Thanks, Kiddo,” he says. Maybe someone in her family helped clear it out so I can get back there and do the fun work. Save her a little money and such.”

     I nod my head enthusiastically. Thats the spirit! But, Ill definitely ask her about it tomorrow.

     “Tell me more about this greenhouse,” Mom says.

     “Oh my gosh! Its beautiful! Its full of plants, even real lemon trees! Theres a stream with a bridge, and fishes, and statues, and a big weeping willow chandelier! And everything is all sparkly and nice. Its nicer than the house.”

     “Today!” shouts Tommy.

     None of us know exactly how to respond, so we all nod enthusiastically and say, “Yes! Today, Tommy!”

     Mom looks at Dad. Sounds like a good excuse for you to go back and see whats going on.”

     I can tell Dad is feeling better. He winks at me. Yes it does.”

     Mom leans across the table.So, be honest, Ella. Today didn’t turn into the catastrophe you thought it was going to be, did it?” 

     Dont you just hate it when parents are right? 

     “It wasnt a catastrophe but. . . “ I search for something to get that satisfied look off her face. The week just started. And theres lots of weird things going on there. Lots.”

     “Well leave it to you to figure it all out,” Dad says.


For next chapter click here

No comments:

Post a Comment