Saturday, February 25, 2023

Willow House Chapter 25




To begin at chapter one click here

Like Dominoes

     


     We run as fast as we can back down to the kitchen. Mrs. H. is about to carry a silver tray to the dining room. She turns so quickly that dainty, rose-shaped, butter cookies nearly slide to the floor.

     “Whatever is the matter, girls?” 

     “Trudy has Tommy!” I yell.

     Mrs. Hallovich’s laser green eyes pop out. (Not clear out, but you know what I mean). “How do you know Trudy?” she asks, and then “What do you mean she has Tommy?” She takes a calming breath and kneels in front of me. “Ella, please tell me what is going on.”

     “Trudy has been babysitting us this week. She met us at the door when we got here. She took Tommy around back to play.” I’m speaking as calmly as I can. I know panicking won’t get us anywhere and so does Mrs. Hallovich.

     She stands. “Follow me, girls!”

     We speed out through the back door and around the fountain. This may seem like a weird time to mention this, but I notice how beautiful the fountain is. The swan is spewing water high up into the air from its beak, and the sunlight is making it all sparkle like magic. I’m telling you because it reminds me of the fairytale scene in front of the greenhouse. Right before things got really bad.  

     Sure enough, a cold wind begins to blow as we scramble into the clearing. A cloud passes over the sun. Mrs. H. hustles us toward the pond. As we reach the line of willows, they begin their terrifying dance. I grip Daleni’s hand. Mrs. H.  tries to hold back the thrashing branches and keep the worst of it from striking us. 

     “Cover your faces, girls!” she cries.

     It’s like the trees themselves are trying to keep us away from the pond. All we can do is squint down at our feet and power on.

     When we emerge on the other side it isn’t like the last time. Things don’t calm down. We have to scramble closer to the churning water to get out of reach of the willow branches that are trying to grab us and pull us back.

     “There they are!” Mrs. H. shouts.

     Out on the choppy water is a small rowboat carrying two people: a girl with long dark hair and my baby brother.

     “Tommy!” I scream. 

     I feel Daleni’s hand still clutching mine. I shake it off and tear at my sandals. I’ve got to go get my brother! I don’t know how to swim, but that’s not an issue. I can do it.

     “Stop! Ella, stop!” Daleni yells. 

     I look over my shoulder to her. She’s pointing out into the pond. How the heck did Mrs. H. get out there so fast? I see a head, arms frantically splashing through the water, nearly to the boat! Then, I see a second person. (Mrs Hallovich?!) not quite half-way out, swimming like she’s being chased by a shark. There are two people in the water! Who the heck is the other person? The first person reaches the little rowboat. It’s a man. He pulls himself up out of the water and climbs into the boat. From here, it looks like my dad, but how is that possible? The man takes control of the oars and rows toward Mrs. Hallovich. The water calms.

     I can’t believe this is happening. It looks like Tommy is going to be okay, and I’m so relieved that I plop down on the sandy shoreline and pull my knees up to my chin. Daleni sits beside me. I can feel her hand on my shoulder. All we can do is watch the drama on the pond play out. I won’t feel all the way better until I have Tommy in my arms.

     Within seconds, the man helps Mrs. H. aboard the little rowboat that’s barely big enough to hold all four of them. She pulls Tommy onto her lap and gathers Trudy to her as well. The man turns the four of them back toward Daleni and me, and we stand to wait by the water’s edge.

     When the boat reaches the shore, Mrs. Hallovich helps Tommy out and sets him on the sand. He runs into my arms. I never want to let go. I get a better look at the man. It’s not my dad. He looks a little like him though, only younger.

     “Thank you.” I say to him. How can those words ever mean enough?

     He gives me a small salute. His eyes are the color of honey. I salute him back.

     “I’ll be with you girls in a minute.” Mrs. H. says.

     We step away. She wants a bit of privacy.

     She stands close to the boat, talking to Trudy and the man. There seems to be a bit of an argument going on. Eventually, Trudy climbs out of the boat and steps toward her mother. Since Trudy doesn’t let anyone touch her, I’m surprised when she takes one more step into Mrs. Hallovich’s arms. They stand there holding each other for a minute until the man calls Trudy back.

     Trudy and Mrs. Hallovich watch each other as the boat sails away from shore. Mrs. Hallovich turns and walks up the beach toward us.

     “I’m so sorry, Ella.”

     I nod, but I’m sorry for her too. She’s been crying. Her nose is red and swollen like mine when I cry. My mind is spinning with questions, but I know that this isn’t the time.

     We watch the boat as it slips away across the pond. You’re going to have trouble believing this next part, but I’m not lying. Trudy and the man have just reached the other side when it starts. The whole earth starts trembling. The wind kicks up so much that Mrs. H. puts her arms around all of us to keep us from being blown away. The water churns, and the willows around the pond start crashing down like dominoes. Then, they’re sucked down into the water, like a giant hand is pulling them in by their roots. It’s over as fast as it started. The trees are gone. The boat is gone. Even Trudy has disappeared. 

     The man, who I’m thinking is Sam, stands alone. He gives us another small salute and turns toward the barn. The pond is naked and smooth as a mirror, reflecting only the sky.

     The four of us stand on the shore. No one makes a peep until Tommy, in Mrs. Hallovich’s arms, looks up into her face and asks, “today?”

     Mrs. H. and I look at each other. So that’s what he’s been trying to say.

     “Yes, Tommy. That was Trudy. Everything’s going to be okay.”

     After a long time, Mrs. Hallovich puts her hand on my shoulder and gives it a squeeze. She takes a deep breath and lets it out. Looking out at the naked pond she says, “Who’s ready for tea?” 


for next chapter click here

No comments:

Post a Comment