Thursday, October 5, 2023

Dreamcatcher


Inktober is here! I don't really have time or patience to participate any longer. Too many irons in the fire, including time to sit and read novels! However, a few weeks ago I looked up the official prompts of the month. Here are the first five:
#1 Dream, #2 Spiders, #3 Path, #4 Dodge, #5 Map

Below is how I began brainstorming in my sketchbook.



It became a small writing exercise:

     The path is not on any map. It winds through a forest of barren trees full of cobwebs that you must dodge at every step. The spiders have grown large in this forgotten place. 
     If you have the courage to continue, you will reach a meadow, and you cannot miss it. In the center, a tree with webs so beautifully crafted that it has begun catching dreams.

Below is what happened when I began the piece in Procreate, on my iPad.
 

Added more color and mist.

Gave it a little more space around and continued with the detail.

     At this point I thought it was pretty, but that's all. It was missing a point of interest. It needed background and a "reason to be". It needed the things I had included in my writing - a barren forest, and a large spider!
     Also, some more cobwebs draped around on the ground, and some warm highlights on the right side of the tree. 

I love October!!! 
I hope to have something else for you before the month is over.
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment