Saturday, March 4, 2023

Watercolor - Teacup


 I have always loved works of art in watercolor but haven't worked with it much myself. 

This year I've made up my mind to try to work more in this medium. 

It takes more patience: (Patience is something I have been greatly lacking lately in my work) It needs to be planned a bit more ahead of time - Where are the highlights going to be? Protect those areas. Where do you want the paint to flow and have its own fun? 

It takes more faith: that the drip and blobs will dry to satisfaction. 

It takes practice: Wet into wet, dry over dry. 

There are no undo buttons. I can't paint over mistakes like I can with oils. (I make a lot of mistakes)

I didn't begin this piece very carefully. I just sketched it up (with my reference photo) and dug right in. Mistakes were made. I cheated (if you want to call it that), and when it was complete, I put it into my digital app, Procreate, and fixed a couple things. Below is the process to where it ended up before I "cheated". 




     This bottom one is what the actual, physical watercolor looks like. My ellipse is skewed, and I didn't plan well for the highlights. For my own purposes, like putting my art here on my blog, or uploading the image to my yearly calendar, it works to do both the physical watercolor, and the digital fixes and enhancements.
     I'm not doing very many things anymore with the end purpose of framing and hanging on a wall. But, having said that, I'm aiming to actually have a watercolor or two, done this year, that are frame worthy. 








No comments:

Post a Comment