Wednesday, May 19, 2021

MerMay 2021


Each spring, beneath a particular weeping willow, on the banks of the Marmar River, a curious bud emerges from the roots that dip closest to the water. On the first of May, that bud stretches as far out as it can, to catch the first, warm rays of the morning sun. As dew dries from its surface, the petals slowly open and . . . you have my contribution to this year's MerMay!


The idea started with a list of MerMay prompts, on Instagram, and the first word was FLOWER.
This is how rough my sketchbook can look when I'm brainstorming.


My first attempt at a blossom on the Procreate app:


I played around with multiple blossoms but preferred the simplicity of one lone blossom.


Then, I played with the background more, darkening it to look like it may actually be beneath a weeping willow, on the banks of the Marmar River.

 

I added a little more sparkle and a tiny hint of the little mermaid waiting to be born!



Now, back to the open blossom. My first attempt was from my imagination, and it was not good. You'll have to trust me. I deleted it. I cannot draw a well rendered flower from my head. I chose to use a photo of a petunia as reference, and here it is, in progress. 
 

I inserted the same background I had used on the bud and then, on to the scary part - drawing the baby mermaid. I was so sure I was going to mess this up! I pulled out my sketchbook and my real pencil 
and . . . nailed it (in my opinion) on the first try!!! Woohoo! This little sketch had energy!


I took a photo of it, dropped it over my blossom in Procreate, and colored it! And there you have it folks!
With an extra splash of water and a few more sparkles, my baby mermaid was born.















No comments:

Post a Comment