Friday, June 1, 2018

Mama Hummingbird


     This is a little sketch I did with a ballpoint pen and colored pencils. I did it in honor of our neighbor - a hummingbird who has built a nest in the tree that hangs over our driveway.
     My husband noticed it over a week ago. Although he keeps hummingbird feeders and we see them all the time, neither of us had ever seen an actual nest! (Hummingbirds will build at the end of a branch where the weight of a predator can't be supported).
     Last week a storm came through and our first thought was 'OH NO! That little nest and it's contents will be destroyed!' We looked out our window and the branch was indistinguishable from the others. The whole tree was a blowing mass of leaves being pummeled by wind and rain. We were bummed.
     When the storm subsided a bit my husband went outside to investigate. The little warrior mama still sat perched on her babies (eggs), riding them through the storm. Wow! Impressive! I can't even imagine what that ride would have been like.
     Another storm came through last night but there she still was this morning. I don't have a good enough zoom on my camera and I didn't want to walk too much closer and bother her, (she's been through enough) so here's the best I can do:


Let's face it. I'll never be a wildlife photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment